Mattress Factory (MAT)

Mattress Factory

Physical address

1953 C Street [map]

Do not send mail to this address. The mailing address for all UW Tacoma offices is 1900 Commerce Street, Tacoma, WA 98402-3100.

Offices and services
Office Room
Admissions MAT 251
Career Development and Education MAT 106
Center for Service & Leadership MAT 107
Copy and Mail Center MAT 053
Disability Resources for Students MAT 354
Facilities Services MAT 004
Financial Aid MAT 213
Ledger, The MAT 151
New Student & Family Programs MAT 106
Registrar, Office of the MAT 253
Student Engagement MAT 103
Student & Enrollment Services, Division of MAT 352
Student Counseling Center MAT 354
Student Transitions Programs MAT 106
Tahoma West MAT 108
Classrooms and academic space
Space Room
Classroom MAT 214
Meeting and event space
Space Room
Dawghouse Student Lounge MAT 153

History

Built 1908, 1912 / Renovated 2003

The Mattress Factory is made up of two buildings with very different histories. The southern part was originally the Lindstrom-Berg Cabinet Works and the northern part was a factory built for the Harmon Furniture Company. “Ghost writing” ads for the firm can still be seen on the building’s exterior and on other restored buildings on campus.

Charles W. Lindstrom founded the cabinet company in the 1890s and partnered with Gustave Berg in 1899, just as Tacoma experienced a terrific building boom. The city’s largest wholesale cabinet works, Lindstrom-Berg created hardwood interior fixtures for offices, banks, stores and bars. Their two-story wooden building on this spot was destroyed by fire in October 1907. Architect Frederick Heath designed the new brick building, and it was finished in time for the cabinet works to reopen just three months after the fire. The company, which employed about two dozen workers, remained in business until 1928. The building was later used by several enterprises, including a creamery, a wholesale grocery, a glue manufacturer and a feed wholesaler, until the 1970s. 

Prominent architect Carl A. Darmer designed the Harmon Building on Pacific Avenue, used as a warehouse by F.S. Harmon & Company, a large furniture store with branches in Portland, Seattle and Spokane. Darmer also designed this flatiron-shaped (triangular) factory for the manufacture of furniture and mattresses. Particularly massive floors were built to support the heavy materials. A skybridge connected the two Harmon buildings (it was removed in 2000). In 1945 the company moved to another location. Sears Roebuck used the factory building as a warehouse from 1947 to 1953.

McGranahan Architects of Tacoma, with Miller Hull Architects of Seattle as the associated architect firm, designed the renovation of the two buildings for the university.

 

Building maps

Ground floor
Mattress Factory Level G map

First floor
Mattress Factory Level 1 map

Second floor
Mattress Factory Level 2 map

Third floor
Mattress Factory Level 2 map

Building hours

Mon. - Thurs. 7 a.m. - 10 p.m.*
Fri. 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sat. Closed
Sun. Closed

*During quarter breaks, all buildings close at 5 p.m.