|Dept:||Milgard School of Business|
- Ph.D., Old Dominion University, 2008.
- M.B.A., University of Mumbai, 1997.
Altaf Merchant joined the Milgard School of Business in 2008 after earning his Ph.D. in Marketing from the Old Dominion University. His research interests focus on consumer behavior with an emphasis on nostalgia, charitable giving and family issues. He teaches Introduction to Marketing at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Prior to his academic career he worked for eight years with various marketing organizations (like Reckitt Benckiser and Glaxo SmithKline) in global brand management and innovations management.
Consumer Behavior - Nostalgia, Time Orientation, Charitable giving, Family issues
- Salvador, Rommel, Altaf Merchant and Elizabeth Alexander, "Faith and Fair Trade: The Moderating Role of Contextual Religious Salience." Forthcoming in the Journal of Business Ethics.
- Merchant, Altaf and Gregory M. Rose, "Effects of Advertising-Evoked Vicarious Nostalgia on Brand Heritage." Forthcoming in Journal of Business Research.
- Merchant, Altaf, Kathryn LaTour, John B. Ford and Michael S. LaTour (2013), "How Strong is the Pull of the Past: Measuring Personal Nostalgia Evoked by Advertising." Journal of Advertising Research, 53(2), 150-165.
- Rose, Gregory M., Altaf Merchant and Aysen Bakir (2012), "Fantasy in Food Advertising Targeted at Children." Journal of Advertising, 41(3), 75-90.
- Merchant, Altaf, John B. Ford and Gregory M. Rose (2011), "How Personal Nostalgia Influences Giving to Charity," Journal of Business Research, 64(6), 610-616.
- Karande, Kiran, Altaf Merchant and K. Siva Kumar (2011), "Relationships Among Time Orientation, Consumer Innovativeness and Innovative Behavior: The Moderating Role of Product Characteristics," Academy of Marketing Science Review, 1(2), 99-116.
- Merchant, Altaf, John B. Ford and Adrian Sargeant (2010), "Charitable Organizations' Storytelling Influence on Donor Emotions and Intentions," Journal of Business Research, 63(7), 754-762.
- John B. Ford and Altaf Merchant (2010), "Nostalgia Drives Donations: The Power of Charitable Appeals Based on Emotions and Intentions," Journal of Advertising Research, 50(4), 450-459.
- Ford, John B. and Altaf Merchant (2008), "A Ten-Year Retrospective of Advertising Research Productivity: 1997-2006," Journal of Advertising, 37(3), 69-94.
Honors and Awards
- Best Paper Proceedings, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2013
- Dean's commendation for Outstanding Teaching Performance, Milgard School of Business.
- Most Inspirational Faculty Award, Milgard School of Business, 2013
- Research Fellow of the Center for Leadership and Social Responsibility, Milgard School of Business.
- Best Paper Award from the International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing, 2008
- Fellow of the prestigious American Marketing Association-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium, 2007
- Love of Learning Award from the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, 2007
- Outstanding Doctoral Student in Marketing Award from the College of Business and Public Administration of the Old Dominion University, 2007
- Glaxo SmithKline Spirit Award for Business Excellence for performance as a Brand Manager, 2002
- Academy of Marketing Science
- American Marketing Association
- Ad-hoc reviewer for various academic journals and conferences.
- Track Co-Chair: Academy of Marketing Science Conference
- Consumer Behavior -- Australia 2013; Peru 2014
- Doctoral Colloquium -- Indianapolis 2014