|Dept:||Milgard School of Business|
- Ph.D., Management, University of Arizona, 2003.
- M.A., Accounting, University of Arizona, 2000.
Garth Novack joined the Milgard School of Business faculty in 2009. Before earning his MAcc and Ph.D. at The University of Arizona, Professor Novack worked in Seattle for a national public accounting firm and in private industry as a financial analyst. Dr. Novack earned undergraduate degrees in Economics and Accounting from the University of Washington and Seattle University; he is licensed in Washington State as a Certified Public Accountant.
Professor Novack enjoys teaching classes in taxation and introductory financial accounting, and researching current issues in taxation and the intersection of taxation with financial reporting using empirical-archival methods.
- "Firms' share price reactions to The American Jobs Creation Act," (with Raynolde Pereira and Xiumin Martin). The Journal of International Accounting and Taxation, Fall 2009, v18 n2: 141-151.
- "Treasury bill yield reactions to the 1997 capital gains tax rate reduction," The Journal of the American Taxation Association, Supplement 2005, v27: 55-70.
- "How well do Compustat NOL data identify firms with US tax return loss carryovers?" (with Lillian F. Mills and Kaye J. Newberry). The Journal of the American Taxation Association Fall 2003, v25 n2: 1-17.
- "The effect of taxes on corporate debt maturity decisions: An analysis of public and private bond offerings," (with Kaye J. Newberry). The Journal of the American Taxation Association, Fall 1999, v21 n2: 1-16.
- "Is tax aggressiveness linked to the cost of debt capital?" with Petro Lisowsky, Devan Mescall and Jeffrey Pittman.
- "Tax sheltering activities by cash constrained firms," with Stacie LaPlante and Sean McGuire.
- American Accounting Association
- American Taxation Association
- Certified Public Accountant, Washington State