|Dept:||Milgard School of Business|
- Ph.D., University of Washington, 1994.
- M.A., University of Washington, 1989.
Dr. Nelson is a senior lecturer in the Milgard School of Business at the University of Washington, Tacoma, where he teaches courses in leadership, interpersonal skills, presentation skills, and managerial communication. His scholarly background and interests include organizational coordination and collaboration, social relationships, and communication dynamics. In addition to his academic work, Dr. Nelson is actively involved in the community as a public speaker, facilitator and trainer. He has a broad and varied background as an organizational consultant, helping companies with strategic planning, organizational development and change, teamwork and group dynamics, and collaborative communication. He is also a facilitator and trainer at UWT's KeyBank Professional Development Center, where he designs workshops and courses in leadership and communication.
Business/organizational/managerial communication, leadership, interpersonal communication, coordinated collective action.
- NELSON, G.K. (May, 2005). Achieving Personal Mastery. Presented at the N.W. Leadership Conference and Expedition, Bremerton, WA.
- NELSON, G.K. (May, 2005). Understanding Communication Styles. Presented at the N.W. Leadership Conference and Expedition, Bremerton, WA.
- NELSON, G.K. (March, 2005). Improving Interpersonal Communication Styles. Presented to UWT MBA students, Tacoma, WA.
- NELSON, G.K. (March, 2005). Toxic Leadership. Presented to Human Resource Network (professional association), Tacoma, WA.
- NELSON, G.K. (October, 2004). Principles and Practices of Powerful Communication. Presented at UWT Alumni Lecture Series, Tacoma, WA.
- NELSON, G.K. (April, 2004). Inspiring a Shared Vision. Presented at the N.W. Leadership Conference and Expedition, Seabeck, WA.
- NELSON, G.K. (April, 2004). The Reality of Leadership Challenges. Presented at the N.W. Leadership Conference and Expedition, Seabeck, WA.
- NELSON, G.K. (April, 2004). Principles of Interpersonal Communication in Organizations. Presented to Batdorf & Bronson Coffee Roasters, Olympia, WA.
- NELSON, G.K. (February, 2004). Leveraging Communication for Personal and Professional Success. Presented at the Rainier Chapter of the Institute of Management Accountants, Tacoma, WA.
- NELSON, G.K. (January, 2004). Collaborative Communication. Presented to Venture Bank, Tacoma, WA.
- Toxic leadership
- Crazy-making communication
- Disconfirming communication patterns
- Trainer & Facilitator, KeyBank Professional Development Center
- N.W. Communication Association
- Western States Communication Association
- Professional and Organizational Development Network in Higher Education
- Milgard School of Business Undergraduate Committee
- Campus Curriculum Committee