Tuition and Student Account Payments

Main page content

Students may view their official UW billing statement containing their current balance and other student account activity at any time by logging into their MyUW account. Students are responsible for paying tuition fees in full by the tuition due date, regardless of whether or not you received a tuition email notice.

The online payment system is managed by UW Seattle Student Fiscal Services. Contact UW Student Fiscal Services at (206) 543-4694 or, if you have questions regarding your student account.

Tuition Due Dates

The tuition due date is always the third Friday of each quarter, the 2017-2018 due dates are as follows:

Quarter Due Date
Spring 2018 April 13, 2018
Summer 2018 July 6, 2018
Autumn 2018 October 12, 2018
Winter 2019

January 25, 2019


Tuition and Student Account Fee Payment Options

Important: The Cashier's Office will only accept payments for tuition and fees for the current academic quarter. Due to banking requirements, funds submitted in excess of outstanding balances may result in the payment being rejected and returned to the payer in its entirety. Excess payments may be rejected even if the extra funds are intended for use for books, off-campus housing, or other living expenses.

UW Tacoma does not accept foreign deposits (checks from non US Banks) even when they are drawn in US Dollars (USD).  Foreign checks, money orders, cashier's checks, drafts or currency presented for deposit that were not issued by a bank in the United States, including Canada, are considered a foreign item.

How Payments and Financial Aid are Applied to Your Account

Payments are applied to charges on your tuition account in order of the charge due dates. For charges with the same due date, payments are applied first to tuition and related University fees and then to other charges on your account. You may request that a payment be applied to a specific charge when paying in person at the Cashier's Office.  If making an online payment you can email to request your payment be applied to a specific charge on your tuition statement.

Pay online

Web Check (FREE ONLINE!):

Tuition and related charges may be paid online using your checking or savings account. A Web Check payment results in an electronic debit of your bank account. After the Web Check payment has been posted to your student account, it will be sent to your bank for processing. Depending on your bank, the transaction could take from one (1) to ten (10) business days to be deducted from your bank account.  While the transaction can take up to ten days, payments post to your student account immediately and there is no fee for this service.  Before making a payment, verify your account and routing number, and that your bank allows electronic debiting of your account.

Web Check payment logins:

Students login from the Tuition Charge Statement on MyUW. On your “My Front Page” tab click on the “Tuition Account Balance.”

Parents and other authorized users use the online tuition statement from the authorized users page.


Rejected Payments

If your payment is returned as unpaid by your bank for any reason, your student account will be assessed a returned item fee of $25. Late payment fees may be added if the returned item causes the account not to be paid by the tuition due date. Student Fiscal Services reserves the right to disable the ability to use Web Check due to returned items.

Payments may be returned by banks for many reasons including:

  • lack of sufficient funds
  • the use of an incorrect or invalid bank routing or account number
  • the account has been closed or frozen
  • the account is a non-transaction account
  • the bank does not participate in automated clearing house (ACH) transactions

Need help making your webcheck payment? Watch the video and learn how it works.

Paying Student Account Charges by Debit or Credit Card (Online Only):

Tuition and fees can only be paid by debit or credit card online. To make a payment, sign into your MyUW and select the "Credit Card Payment" option.

A convenience fee is added to these transactions.

Student Fiscal Services oversees this process. 


Pay by mail or in-person

Pay by mail

Checks can be mailed to:

UW Tacoma – Cashier’s Office

Campus Box # 358433

1900 Commerce Street

Tacoma, WA 98402-3100

UW Tacoma does not accept foreign deposits even when they are drawn in US Dollars (USD).  Foreign checks, money orders, cashier's checks, drafts or currency presented for deposit that were not issued by a bank in the United States, including Canada, are considered a foreign item.

Make your check payable to "UW Tacoma."  Your 7 digit student number must be clearly written on your check. If your name is not printed on the check, write it on the front of the check. If you don’t know your student number, write your social security number on a piece of paper and enclose this with your check.  The paper will be securely disposed of after your student number is located.

Also note if the payment is for tuition, UW Housing, or a Short Term Student Loan Payment.

Payments must be received by the due date.  Payments received after the due date will be subject to late charges and/or holds on your academic records.

Pay via the Drop Box

Payments can be placed in the drop boxes located in CAR 400 or outside DOU 176. All drop boxes are stocked with pre-labeled envelopes. Place your check, made payable to UWT, into the envelope and be sure to provide the information requested on the label.  All envelopes are stored securely in the drop boxes.

A late fee will not be assessed to payments placed in the drop box by the due date.

Pay in Person

The Cashier's Office window in Carlton 400 using cash, check, cashier's/bank check, or money order only.

University policy does NOT permit in-person use of Visa or MasterCard for tuition or other student account charges. These payment types can only be used online via MyUW.  See Pay Online tab above.

UW TACOMA Tuition Payment Plan (Pay in installments)

The Tuition payment plan option allows students to pay their quarterly tuition in three installments.

The tuition due dates for the tuition payment plan are always the first, third and fifth Fridays of the quarter.

International Student Payments

If you are an international student and would like to pay your tuition by wire transfer or via the PeerTransfer system, please follow the link below to access the appropriate information:

Click on this link  International Wire Transfer for international students.

(The international payment information is located toward the bottom of the page.)

If you have any questions regarding these services you may contact the Student Fiscal Services Office at 206-543-4694. 

Reminder: UW Tacoma does not accept foreign deposits (checks from non US Banks) even when they are drawn in US Dollars (USD).  Foreign checks, money orders, cashier's checks, drafts or currency presented for deposit that were not issued by a bank in the United States, including Canada, are considered a foreign item. Students are encouraged to use the International Wire Transfer for making their tuition payments.

Guaranteed Education Tuition (GET)

GET is an IRS 529 Qualified Tuition Program that allows you to prepay for a student's college tuition today. It is guaranteed by the state for tuition payment in the future even if state university tuition charges increase and may be used at nearly any public or private college in the U.S. Washington guarantees that 100 GET units will cover one year of full-time, undergraduate, resident tuition and state mandated fees at the most expensive state public university. You may buy from 1 to 500 units for college tuition payments. Students may use 125 GET units in a year plus any unused units from a prior year. More information about GET is available on the UW Seattle Student Fiscal Services (SFS) site.

NOTE TO UW TACOMA STUDENTS:  UW Seattle is the "owner" of all student accounts for all three campuses. UW Tacoma is not listed as an option on the GET website.  You will need to select UW Seattle. 

Scholarship Check, Voucher, Employer and Government Agency Payments

The UW Tacoma Cashier's office cannot process these types of payments. If you are a student who is having their tuition paid via an employer, scholarship, loan or government-issued check or voucher, please go to SFS Scholarship page.

Go to SFS Home for more information, or contact SFS Scholarship regarding these payments. Failure to do so will delay the processing of your tuition payment and may result in late fees if the tuition due date is not met. SFS can be reached by phone at 206-543-4694.


If you have a credit balance in your account you may request a refund by contacting the Student Fiscal Services at 206-543-4694.

Late Payments

If you do not pay your tuition by the tuition due date, you will be assessed a late payment charge based on the amount of your outstanding balance.

  • For past due balances of $250 and above, the late fee is $120.
  • For balances between $50 - $249.99, the late fee is $50.
  • There is no late payment charge for balances under $50.

Failure to pay your outstanding balance may result in a hold on your academic records and/or your account being referred to an outside collection agency, which will add additional charges.

For information regarding late payments, contact Student Fiscal Services. 

Student Account Information Release

You can authorize someone else to pay your tuition by following the Information Release Authorization link after signing into your MyUW account and viewing your "tuition statement".

The University will not release your tuition or loan account information to others, including your parents or spouse, unless you complete an online authorization information release. This is to protect your privacy.