Inclement weather information for students
Inclement weather guidelines
These guidelines apply whether classes are in session or not.
In the event of snow, ice or other dangerous conditions, campus leadership will assess the road conditions and make a decision no later than 6 a.m. — earlier if possible — about whether to suspend operations for the entire day or operate on a delayed schedule.
When operations are suspended, classes are not held, administrative offices are closed and events and activities are cancelled.
When a delayed schedule is called, classes and offices will resume operations, usually at 10:30 a.m. or noon, depending on conditions.
If a storm hits during a weekday, campus leaders may decide to suspend operations at midday. An announcement is usually made by 2 p.m. that day.
Where to get info:
- UW emergency telephone hotline: 253-383-4636 or 866-897-4636 (toll-free)
- UW Tacoma web homepage: www.tacoma.uw.edu
- Alert system emails and text messages. Sign up or update your contact information: www.tacoma.washington.edu/security/alert
- Twitter: twitter.com/UWTnews
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/uwtacoma
- Check SchoolReport.org for closure and delayed operation notices.
- TV and radio stations will broadcast information from SchoolReport.org.
Messages will be available through these communication methods as soon as a decision to suspend or delay operations is made. UW Tacoma's homepage will be updated as soon as possible with an alert message if there is any change in campus operations.
Faculty should make arrangements to contact students if class is cancelled when the university is not closed. Students should talk with their teachers about making up class time lost during a suspension of operations or a delayed opening, or if they are unable to get to campus.
Additional safety information
- Take Winter by STORM:
Tips, information and resources for Western Washington
- Washington State Emergency Management:
Preparedness for home, work, school; disaster assistance
- Washington Dept. of Transportation
Road conditions, winter driving, mountain passes information