STAR system access
STAR is UW Seattle's web-based system for coordinating practicum placements, learning contracts and evaluations. Effective June 2012, it has replaced all paper-based forms at UW Tacoma as well. If you have been trained on this system with practicum students from Seattle, you may also use it for your Tacoma students. Otherwise, we will be sponsoring a series of trainings to bring all task instructors and practicum instructors up to speed. STAR system access is available to all TIs and PIs at this time if you have a UW NetID. Individuals without a UW NetID will need to set up access through Protect Network.
BASW Practicum (TSOCWF 415)
MSW Foundation Practicum (T SOCW 524)
MSW Advanced Practicum (T SOCW 525)
Field Education Expectations
Fair Labor Standards: Regulations and Criteria
Council on Social Work Education: Policy and Standards for Field Education
Field education, as articulated in the CSWE Educational Policy and Accreditation Standards, is clearly within the guidelines of the Department of Labor regulations for an educational internship and does not require payment. Social work field education meets the following stipulations:
- Field education is associated with an academic program at an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Field education is structured around a classroom or academic experience, with articulated learning objectives/competencies.
- The college or university exercises oversight over the internship program and provides educational credit.
- The field education experience is supervised by social work program personnel; there is an agreement between the program and the field site and a learning contract between the student and the site.
- The Social Work Field Education program is meant to be solely educational and provide training to prepare the professional social worker. It is not meant to supplant or replace existing employees of social work within the field education program site.
- The field placement is meant to provide an educational and training opportunity to the social worker, and is not meant to provide any immediate advantage to the employer or the field site.
Library privileges for Field Instructors on a universal basis are no longer available through the UW Library system. You may, however, be eligible for privileges through another means, whether or not you currently have a social work student under your supervision. One of the following may work for you:
If you have questions, please contact the Library Accounts Office