After You Register with DSS
Immediately following registration for the upcoming quarter, please contact the Disability Support Services Accommodations Coordinator, Hope Stout, to request any accommodations that you will need and that have been approved by the Student Support and Advocacy Director, Dr. Shannon Ledesma. DSS can provide Request for Services forms that detail the information we need from you to initiate these services each quarter.
Many accommodations may take two or more weeks to arrange, so please consider this when submitting your requests.
Start early to be better prepared when the quarter begins!
Following is a partial list of some accommodations that should be requested before the quarter begins:
- Note-taking services
- Include the names and SLN numbers of the classes in which note-taking services will be needed and submit at least two weeks prior to the start of the quarter.
- Library or laboratory assistant
- Include the names and SLN numbers of the classes in which laboratory assistance is needed, as well as the days and times of day on which an assistant's services will be needed in the Library or in a lab or classroom. Submit to DSS at least two weeks prior to the start of the quarter.
- Alternate print format
- Please provide the written material to DSS (syllabi/reading lists and order in which readings are due, textbooks, in-class handouts, etc.). Also include the format which you would like the texts converted (audio-recording, enlarged print, Braille, e-text, etc.). Submit to DSS Office at least two weeks prior to the start of the quarter to ensure that they are returned to you in a timely manner.
- Sign Language Interpreters/Real-Time Captioning
- Include the SLN number of classes, the days and time on which classes (or academic-related event) will be held, and the building name and room number of the classrooms or other campus locations in which services will be needed, and submit at least five school days prior to the start of the quarter or event.
- Special classroom furniture
- Include the building name and room number of the classrooms in which special furniture will be needed, and submit at least five school days prior to the start of the quarter for which it is needed.
- Classroom relocations
- If you are registered for a course that is scheduled to be held in a classroom that for any reason is difficult for you to access, please notify the DSS Manager as soon as possible after you've registered.
PLEASE NOTE: Accommodations are NOT retroactive. You must first provide the required documentation to DSS, establish eligibility, and work with us to agree on those accommodations that are reasonable and appropriate given the effects of your disability.
PLEASE REMEMBER: The student is responsible for contacting us to request accommodations and auxiliary aids prior to, or at the beginning of each quarter. Accommodations and auxiliary aids will not automatically be provided each quarter. The student must newly submit a request for accommodations each quarter the student attends UW Tacoma. When you submit your accommodation requests in a timely manner, you are better assured of receiving them in a timely manner.
Let us know if you are having difficulties working out your accommodation needs with your professor. The sooner we take care of problems the easier they are to solve.
Please inform us if there is a difficulty with other accommodations that have been made through the DSS Office, for instance note-taking services or special furniture placed in classrooms. DSS relies on the student to provide information when requested accommodations have not been fulfilled.