Student Health Services FAQ
Who pays for Student Health Services?
- SHS is 100 percent funded by student fees and is available only to current UW Tacoma students.
Can I bring my family for services?
- No, only enrolled students are eligible.
What does this cost me?
- Basic services at Student Health Services (SHS) are provided at no cost to currently enrolled UW Tacoma students. However, you may incur costs for services provided off campus, such as lab tests, and for some on-campus services, such as immunizations. The SHS staff will identify any services that you would have to pay for.
What off-campus services would be charged to me?
- Immunizations, lab work, diagnostics and other additional services are the financial responsibility of the students and are not covered in basic services provided by SHS. Please consult SHS staff regarding questions about costs.
Who provides the services?
- SHS is staffed and operated under contract with Franciscan Medical Group. Services are provided by an advanced registered nurse practitioner (ARNP) and a licensed practical nurse (LPN). Appointment scheduling and information is provided by the receptionist.
Do I need an appointment?
- Making an appointment increases the likelihood that you can be seen within a time frame that meets your needs. Non-emergency walk-ins are seen on a space-available basis and priority will be given to patients with scheduled appointments.
What should I bring for my appointment?
- Bring your student ID showing current enrollment, a list of any medications you are taking, as well as dosage information, and contact information for other medical care providers.
Can I drop in if I'm unexpectedly sick or injured?
- Yes, you are welcome to come in without an appointment during operating hours.
Is this like insurance?
- No. Student Health Services does not replace comprehensive health insurance and does not cover major injuries or illnesses, which may require a doctor's care, surgery or hospitalization. Please see the list of services provided.
Can I get prescriptions at SHS?
- Yes, the ARNP can write prescriptions.
Where can I get a prescription filled?
- At a pharmacy of your choice. The SHS does not have a pharmacy on site and cannot fill your prescriptions.
Do students pay for prescriptions?
- Yes, students are responsible for paying for their prescriptions, which must be filled off site at a pharmacy of their choice.