Volunteer Services opportunities are updated every 2nd and 4th Monday and include listings available over the last two months. Students should contact organizations directly about volunteer positions. To find additional volunteer opportunities, visit: Career Development & Education's Jobs and Internships page.
Volunteer Services hosts six service events each quarter.
Volunteer Services Events
Tacoma Children's Museum
WHEN: November 2, 2013 - 10:00am - 3:00pm
WHERE: Tacoma Children's Museum
WHAT: Join UWT's very own Pakistani Student Alliance registered student organization and Volunteer Services to spend 3 hours helping out at the children's museum! We will be doing a crafty project and possibly helping the museum set up for a future event.
Husky Jackpot: Basket BINGO Fundraiser
WHEN: November 7, 2013 - 7:00pm - 9:00pm
WHERE: Jane Russell Commons (JRC)
WHAT: The second annual Basket Bingo fundraiser is coming up! Come play bingo for the chance to win themed baskets full of awesome prizes. Bring friends and family! All the money raised willl go towards our 2014 Spring Breakaway trips.
Asia Pacific Cultural Center
WHEN: November 8, 2013 - 9:00am - 1:00pm
WHERE: MAT 103 for sign-up
WHAT: Volunteers will be assisting the center with the making of invitation letters for the 16th Annual Asia Pacific Celebration, redesigning the center's bulletin boards for the youth and cultural programs, creating 2014 flyers for the Tea Experience and Taste of Asia classes, as well as other projects. The Asia Pacific Cultural Center has asked for 10 volunteers. To sign up, come to MAT 103 by Wednesday November 6th and ask the front desk for the sign-up sheet.
Citizens For a Healthy Bay
WHEN: November 16, 2013 - 9:30am - 2:30pm
WHERE: 2717 Pioneer Way E. Tacoma 98404
WHAT: We will be working at the NRDA Swan Creek restoration site mulching plants and harvesting and planting live stakes. Tools, gloves and lunch provided. Wear long pants, long sleeves, sturdy boots and rain gear. Bring a water bottle. The site is located at 2717 Pioneer Way E. Tacoma 98404.
With Food Drive
WHEN: November 23, 2013; November 30, 2013; December 7, 2013 - 10:00am - 1:00pm (times may vary)
WHERE: Meet at MAT 103
WHAT: We will be dropping off paper bags with labels asking for donations of food in local neighborhoods on Nov. 23rd and 30th. We will be picking up the bags with food on Nov. 30th and Dec. 7th. Food will be donate to St. Leo's Food Connection. Volunteers will be walking on foot to each door step and dropping off/picking up and creating a stronger tie with the community.
VolunteerMatch, (Input your location & keyword)
Community Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteer Services would like to provide you with resources whenever possible to find ways to volunteer in your community. Please check out the following for more information:
- Lakewold Gardens
- Mentor 253
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Military Mentorship Program
- Mt. Rainier National Park Associates
- Girl Scout Ambassador's Assistant-Spring 2013
- Write @ 253 - Afterschool Program Community In Schools Tutor (Academic Credit)
- Federal Way Public Schools Tutoring
- Pierce County 211 Information & Referral Specialist
- Court Appointed Special Advocates
- Northwest Harvest
- Planned Parenthood
- Prison Pet Partnership
- Snowboard Outreach Society
- CareNet of Puget Sound
- Communities in Schools
- Mary Bridge
- Metropolitan Development Council
- Washington Women's Employment & Education
Advertise Local Service Opportunities:
We encourage organizations which are seeking volunteers to create a one page document to connect more students with the experiences they offer. These documents are then placed on our website and printed to be kept at our front desk. The document should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and must include:
- Full organization name and logo.
- Date(s) of service opportunity (ie. ongoing, date range, or specific date).
- Details regarding the mission and purpose of the organization.
- Description of volunteer activities and expectations. If the activities vary widely, please include a list of potential activities. This can ensure a better fit between organization and volunteer.
- Instructions for interested volunteers to reach your organization.
- Include as many of the following as possible: Liaison/Coordinator name and contact information, organization webpage URL, and direct link to volunteer webpage.