Childcare Assistance Program
The Childcare Assistance Program (CAP) provides childcare assistance to qualifying students with financial need. The CAP provides vouchers to UW Tacoma low income and economically disenfranchised students with children, who continue to have unmet financial need even after the maximum amount of financial aid has been awarded.
The CAP awards childcare vouchers at $500.00 per quarter for full-time enrolled students and $300.00 per quarter for part-time enrolled students during the academic year - fall, winter, and spring quarters only. Undergraduate and Graduate students are eligible to participate.
In order to receive a childcare voucher, eligible students must complete the Childcare Assistance Application as well as supporting documents.
The city of Tacoma provides information and resources to assist you in securing childcare. Please visit the Tacoma Childcare Resource and Referral website for more information.
In order for accurate tax reporting to occur, the University is no longer processing checks for childcare providers, and will be depositing grant money directly to your student account, through MyUW. Please note the following changes:
- Grant money received through the Childcare Assistance Program may be considered taxable income and will be listed on your 1098T form. Please note that we are not trained to advise on tax laws. Please contact a tax advisor for their instructions in utilizing information on the 1098T when filling out your taxes.
- Grant money ($500/quarter for full-time students or $300/quarter for part-time students) will be deposited directly to your student account, through MyUW.
- If you receive direct deposit, the grant money will be available in your bank account (in 2-3 business days).
- If you do not receive direct deposit, you will receive a check, that will be mailed to your current address (please be sure your address is correct in MyUW).
- If you currently have a balance on your student account, the grant will NOT pay the balance. You will receive the full grant amount.
- You will need to submit a Revision Request to Financial Aid, in order to include your childcare costs.
- At the end of each quarter (June 14, 2013 - Spring Quarter Deadline), you will be required to submit a Cost Verification Form
along with supporting documentation, indicating that the childcare assistance grant was paid to the childcare provider that is listed on your application form.
- Acceptable supporting documentation will include: copy of childcare accounting record, ledger card, invoice or statement, copy of canceled personal checks (front and back), copy of money order or cashier's check, legible copy of bank statement showing electronic payment (transfer) of funds from bank account to childcare provider, or a typed letter signed by the childcare provider (on the childcare provider's letterhead) detailing names, dates of attendance, total monthly costs, and types of payments made.
- If the deadline has passed (June 14, 2013 - Spring Quarter Deadline) and no contact has been made with the Department of Student Services, and we have not received your Cost Verification Form, your award for the following quarter may be canceled and you may be required to repay the University the entire amount of your assistance for that quarter.
- Laura Mochinski, Program Coordinator of Student Involvement
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 253.692.4734