Explore Careers & Get Experience
You're looking for experience in your major. You wish you had more time to do some community volunteer work. However, you just can't find enough time in the day to do both-how do you choose? There are many opportunities for college students (and graduates) to help themselves and help their communities. A volunteer job can provide you with the opportunity to put into practice the theories you have learned in school, and provides a valuable service at the same time. The trick is to connect your interests to a volunteer work position.
- Business majors can add to their marketing talents by helping to promote a blood drive.
- Computer science majors can practice their programming skills by building websites for youth groups.
- Urban Study students can lend a hand by building a house for a charitable cause.
Many students at colleges and universities nationwide take time from their breaks to "shadow" a professional to learn more about the field and to get a taste of working life. So what's the best way to go about becoming a shadow?
Sometimes, you can set up shadowing experiences on your own, with family, friends, or acquaintances-or by contacting a company or organization that you know offers the sort of experience you're seeking. But generally, it's best to work through Career Development and Education, where counselors and advisers can provide guidance and opportunities. The Husky Career Network Program is an excellent place to start locating contacts.
Resources for Diverse Students and Multicultural Interests
Career-related resources for students of color, individuals with disabilities, LGBTQ students and international students.
General Diversity-Related Resources:
- Equal Opportunity Publications
- Diversity Inc
- IM Diversity
- Riley Guide Diversity Resources
- Vault Online Career Library Diversity Profiles
- Campus Point
- Volunteer Match
- Seattle Community Network
Student of Color:
- Black Collegian Online
- National Association of Asian American Professionals
- Latino Professionals
- Asian Professionals
- UW Tacoma Office for Equity and Diversity
Individuals with Disabilities:
- Career Opportunities for Students with Disabilities-Click on "Student Login" to fill out registration information
- Workforce Recruitment Program for College Students with Disabilities
- eSight Career Network
- UW Tacoma Disability Support Services
- New England ADA Center
- Human Rights Campaign Employer Database
- OUT For Work
- Lambda Legal
- The Advocate-Covers wide spectrum of career-related issues
- SimplyHired-An aggregator job search tool that allows you to search only at inclusive companies