New Student Programs strives to support new students and their support systems during their transitions to UW Tacoma. The following mission statements and goals are the guiding principles of each function.
New Student Orientation seeks to assist students with the successful transition and integration into the academic, cultural, and social climate of UW Tacoma.
- Prepare students to navigate the academic environment.
- Educate new students about their responsibilities as members of the UW Tacoma community.
- Provide support to the parents, partners, guardians, and children of new students.
- Introduce students to the campus and Tacoma communities.
- Collaborate with campus partners to provide a breadth of information and resources.
- Foster student engagement.
- Stay current with trends and best practices related to new student orientation.
The mission of Family Programs is to build collaborative partnerships with families and support systems of students and the University of Washington Tacoma.
- Integrate student support systems with the UW Tacoma community.
- Provide intentional communication related to campus resources.
- Present information to support systems that will aid in students' transition to UW Tacoma.
- Respond appropriately to the needs of the diverse population of student support systems.
- Encourage parents and families to work with their student to be aware of and gain access to institutional resources independently.
- Assist parents and families in navigating campus resources, services, and programs.
- Collaborate with essential campus partners to provide information related to establishing effective partnerships with parents and families.
The Peer Adviser Program aids in the successful academic and social transition of new students into the UW Tacoma community.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate social and education programs and services focusing on students' transition to UW Tacoma.
- Establish a safe space for students to explore their personal growth and development.
- Engage with new students inside and outside of the classroom to develop and maintain positive relationships.
- Collaborate with campus partners to enhance the experience of new students at UW Tacoma.
- Provide equitable access to programs, services, and engagement opportunities regardless of residence.
- Help students understand the value, purpose, and potential of higher education.
In collaboration with New Student Orientation, the Welcome Week/Days Program seeks to assist students in their continued transition and integration into the academic, cultural, and social climate of UW Tacoma.
- Prepare students to navigate the academic and social environments of UW Tacoma.
- Communicate the expectations of the UW Tacoma community to sustain a healthy and safe campus.
- Introduce students to the campus and Tacoma communities cultivating a vibrant campus community.
- Collaborate with campus partners to provide a breadth of information and resources contributing to student success.
- Foster student engagement to enhance student learning, leadership, and development.