Office of Student Advocacy Overview
In order to promote the safety and health of its students, the Office of Student Advocacy addresses student behaviors that are disruptive and may include mental health and/or safety issues.
Although instances of University of Washington Tacoma students engaging in disruptive, threatening, or violent behavior are rare, circumstances may arise that cause concern among our faculty, staff, or students. Often times, the concern stems from behavior, in or out of the classroom that might be considered odd or out the ordinary.
The Office of Student Advocacy:
- Provides training and education on how to identify, manage or refer students of concern.
- Provides individual consultation and resources to faculty and staff who are dealing a disruptive or threatening student.
- Receives reports of students who are engaging in substantial disruption or threatening behavior.
- Conducts assessment and appropriate referrals.
- Provides feedback, when appropriate to UWT department on response steps taken or options in responding to student of concern.