Office of Student Advocacy - Intervention
How does the University of Washington Tacoma handle disruptive behavior on campus?
There are two ways that the University of Washington helps to address disruptive student behavior:
- Threats of violence, substantial disruption, possession of a weapon or an immediate medical concern.
- Handled externally with an immediate police/aid response and intervention (911).
- Issues of Emotional, Psychological or disorderly/disruptive behavior.
- Handled internally through one of four areas: Academic Affairs, Counseling Services, the Office of Student Advocacy or the Student Conduct Office.
What Should I Do If I Am Concerned About a Student's Behavior?
Referrals are made through one of four pathways:
- ACADEMIC Classroom disruption is a rarity at the University of Washington, Tacoma. The Office of Student Advocacy will refer faculty members and staff back to the student's home department in order to address and respond to disruptive behavior.
- COUNSELING SERVICES When a student show signs of emotional or psychological distress, comprehensive evaluation and treatment are provided by the Counseling Center in Student Health and Wellness (SHAW). For consultation with a counselor, you may contact the Counseling Center at (253) 692- 4522. Services available at the Counseling Center are free to students.
- STUDENT INTERVENTION TEAM (S.I.T.) Referrals to the S.I.T. are made through the Office of Student Advocacy. The OSA takes reports and evaluates and then triages the incident reports to the team for review and referrals for appropriate action.
- STUDENT CONDUCT UWT Faculty and Staff can complete an incident report which will be processed by the Conduct Office. While the incident is being investigated all other referrals are suspended pending the completion of the investigation. To review the Student Conduct Code or learn more about the process of filing an incident report please visit the Student Conduct website.
What happens when I make a referral?
We've put together the following flow chart, showing you what happens when a referal is made.Referral Flowchart