Community Engagement Matching Scholarship
"Uniting Passion with Educational Pursuit to Create College Pathways"
The Community Engagement Matching Scholarship (CEMS) is a scholarship match program for non-profit, 501(c) 3 organizations, who offer college bound scholarships. The program will match organizations' annual college bound scholarships for all incoming students attending UW Tacoma, and is available beginning with the admission cycle for Autumn Quarter 2013.
- All non-profit organizations must be registered and recognized through the State of Washington as a 501(c) 3 organization.
- UW Tacoma will match up to 3 annual scholarships per organization up to $6,000 per scholarship. Match recipient must apply to, be admitted as a matriculated student, and enroll into UW Tacoma for the autumn quarter immediately following their senior year of high school.
- Community organization must include UW Tacoma's CEMS information in award information and promotion materials.
- Community organizations that offer college-bound scholarships to students may wish to review UW Tacoma's admissions requirements in selecting students likely to be admitted. For more information on freshman admission requirements for UW Tacoma, please visit our website at: http://www.tacoma.uw.edu/admissions/freshman-admissions
- Community organizations should demonstrate a selection process which includes:
- Evidence of co-curricular and/or community service involvement;
- Evidence of scholarship recipient's ability to succeed at four-year institutions. UW Tacoma will provide periodic reports on student retention.
- Community organizations must serve high school students from high schools in the State of Washington.
- Community organizations must complete pre-approval application by November 15th of each year for upcoming academic year (e.g. November 15, 2012 for Autumn Quarter 2013 admissions). Notification of approval will be sent out on or around November of each year.
- The University reserves the right to limit new organization's approval pending funding availability.
- A new organization must attend a Pre-Approval workshop prior to submitting application for participation.
- September 1st
- Freshman application for admission to UW Tacoma available by this date
- November 15th
- Community Organization application for Pre-approval or Renewal due
- January 15th
- Freshman Priority Admissions Application Date for Merit Scholarship
Consideration at UW Tacoma
- February 15th
- Community Organizations are encouraged to send CEMS recipient's information to UW Tacoma by this date
- February 15th
- Freshman Priority Application Date for Admissions to UW Tacoma
- February 28th
- UW Tacoma Priority Date for Submission of FAFSA (students must submit FAFSA to UW by this date to ensure fullest consideration for financial aid)
- March 15th
- Scholarship Notification from UW Tacoma to scholarship recipients
- March 15th
- Student Acceptance Agreement published for Scholarship recipients
- May 1st
- Enrollment Confirmation Fee due to confirm enrollment into UW Tacoma
|Scholarship Program||Organization Contact|
|Alpha Iota Mu Lambda Foundation||Rick Bondon|
|Asia Pacific Cultural Center||Faaluaina Pritchard|
|Elizabeth Wesley/Tacoma Urban League||Wayne Williams
|Miss Pierce County Scholarship Program||Atiya Canley|
|Northwest Leadership Foundation||Patricia Talton|
|Palmer Scholars||Judy Brochoff|