Pathways to Promise - Tacoma Public Schools
UW Tacoma is pleased to have launched our first Pathways to Promise partnership with Tacoma Public Schools in January 2013, in alignment with the District's 2011-2015 Strategic Plan. If you're a Tacoma Public School student, if you meet our transparent eligibility criteria and you want to be a Husky, we have a place for you!
UW Tacoma and Tacoma Public Schools have agreed on the following goals:
- Double the number of Tacoma students that apply to UW Tacoma in 2013 (target: 130)
- Double the number of Tacoma students that enroll in UW Tacoma in 2014 (target: 230)
- Create transparent assured acceptance criteria by UW Tacoma
- 2.7 GPA + 480 SAT (both sections) or 21 ACT and coursework that meets the college academic distribution requirements (CADRs), or through holistic review of application materials.
Are you a student or family member who wants to learn more about this partnership?
- Contact UW Tacoma Admissions Adviser Natalie Hart
- Phone: 253.692.4535
- Invitations of support
- In January, UW Tacoma Chancellor Debra Friedman and Tacoma Public Schools Superintendent Carla Santorno sent personal invitations to the families of all seniors who met the established guaranteed acceptance criteria to apply to UW Tacoma and participate in events that would facilitate the college application process
- Senior Saturday (Application Workshop)
- Nearly 40 students from all over Tacoma (and other districts as well) attended a workshop at UW Tacoma where admissions counselors supported students through the college application process, FAFSA and financial aid and parents/guardians met with Vice Chancellor of Student and Enrollment Services, Dr. Cedric Howard.
- Admittance Celebrations
- At the end of February, recognition events were held at local high schools, where UW Tacoma and Hendrix the Husky personally delivered acceptance letters to high school senior throughout Tacoma.
- Application Goal
- Applications from Tacoma Schools totaled 115 for the 2012-2013 academic year, we are on target to reach our goal of doubling that figure for 2013-2014.