Graduation Requirements

To qualify for graduation with a bachelor of arts in Urban Studies or Sustainable Urban Development from the University of Washington Tacoma, you must complete the following requirements:

  • Be a matriculated Urban Studies or SUD student in good academic standing with the University of Washington Tacoma
  • Satisfy all general university requirements for graduation
  • Complete all Urban Studies or SUD core area coursework with a minimum 2.0 grade in each class
  • Maintain a minimum cumulative grade-point average of a 2.0
  • Complete 180 credits, at least 65 of which must be upper division (300-400) level coursework
  • Complete 45 of the last 60 credits in residence at the University of Washington Tacoma. To seek an exemption to this requirement, contact your academic advisor. Even if an exception is granted, you must still present a minimum of 45 credits taken in residence as a matriculated student to be awarded a UW degree.

Applying to graduate

Graduation is not automatic. In order to officially graduate and receive your diploma you must submit a graduation application. Graduation applications are completed during an appointment with an academic advisor, and are due by the second Friday of the quarter in which you wish to graduate. It is recommended that you apply for graduation two quarters before your planned date of graduation.

Grade standards

The following grade standards apply to all students in Urban Studies and Sustainable Urban Development. These standards may be in addition to other academic standards at UW Tacoma.

  • You must complete all core and core elective coursework by achieving a minimum 2.0 grade in each class. If a grade below 2.0 is received, you must repeat the course. Course credit will only be awarded once, and both grades will be computed into the grade point average. If a grade below a 1.7 is received in a general elective course, it will not count toward graduation; however, you are not required to repeat the course.
  • Courses in the Urban Studies/SUD core area may not be taken S/NS (satisfactory/not satisfactory).
  • Upper-division core courses completed at other regionally accredited four-year institutions may be applied toward the general elective requirement. Adviser transcript evaluation is available upon request.
  • Upper-division courses considered for transfer credit will apply toward the general elective requirement.
  • Upper-division courses considered for transfer credit are held to the 1.7 grade standard.

More on graduation.