Minor in Urban Studies

This minor is not open to Urban Studies students. Learn about other minors available at UW Tacoma.

Urban Studies is multi-disciplinary by nature and can serve to complement a variety of degree programs. The Urban Studies minor is intended to provide students from other programs with an understanding of and appreciation for urban issues and problems.

Requirements for the minor  NOTE: the Urban Studies minor requirements  are under revision.  Updated requirements will be posted as soon as possible.  For questions, please contact Urban Studies.  

  • The Urban Studies minor requires the completion of 30 credits of Urban Studies courses (listed below).
  • All of the courses in the minor must be completed in residence at UW Tacoma.
  • No more than 50% (15 credits) can overlap with another major. 
  • Urban Studies majors cannot earn this minor. 
  • Courses in the minor may also count, as appropriate, toward foreign language, Q/SR, writing, and Areas of Knowledge requirements, without restriction.
  • Students must satisfactorily complete all core & core elective coursework in the Urban Studies minor by achieving a minimum 2.0 grade point average in each required course. lf a grade below 2.0 is received,
    the student may repeat the course. Course credit will only be awarded once, and both grades will be computed into the grade point average.

Core courses (10 credits)

  • T URB 430 Pacific Rim Cities (5) or
    T URB 460 Urban Issues in the Developing World (5)

Core electives (15 credits)

Capstone course (5 credits)

  • T URB 492 Urban Studies Seminar 
    You must have senior standing and fulfill the following prerequisites before taking the capstone course: T URB 301; T URB 350 or T GIS 311; one 400-level T URB course; or permission of instructor

Declaring a minor

You can declare a minor by using the Request to Declare/Change Major form and submitting it to the Urban Studies program.

Graduating with a minor

When applying for graduation, your academic adviser will list the minor requirements on your graduation application. Upon graduation, the minor will be indicated on your transcript, but it will not appear on your diploma.